Useful tips for successful self-storage in Poway, CA
It’s amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over the course of a lifetime. Now that you have finally decided to clear out the old fishing trophies and college textbooks from the basement, you need a plan of action to help you make the most of your storage units. The experts at Scripps Poway Self Storage have a variety of helpful suggestions to get you started.
To avoid countless hours of searching and shifting to find the one box you need, plan out your storage strategy ahead.
- Use uniform boxes that can hold 25 to 35 pounds for easy stacking.
- Make an inventory of your items as you pack.
- Number each box and list the contents on all four sides.
- Select the smallest self-storage unit to fit your needs.
- Place boxes along the walls of your storage units, allowing for clear walkways to reach the back.
- Leave a little room between the boxes and the wall for proper air circulation.
- Create a basic map pointing out locations for important items and tack it to the wall.
- Place any boxes that contain items you will need frequent access to at the front.
Smart packing ideas
Though there may not be a place for your items in your home, you still want to keep them in perfect condition until you need them again.
- Concrete floors have a tendency to become cold and damp, so cover your space with a protective sheet and place your storage items on boards or pallets.
- Protect your dishes or glasses by wrapping them in paper and packing them in sturdy boxes.
- Stack lighter or more fragile boxes on top of heavier boxes.
- Wrap your pictures and mirrors in cardboard and stack them on the end.
- Cover and pad beds, furniture, and mattresses with protective materials.
- Cover stuffed furniture with cardboard or blankets to protect against dust.
- Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered items.
- Avoid storing any combustible items such as paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, or paint.
Maximizing your storage space
Storage facilities usually have a variety of storage units to choose from, but you can save a lot of money if you find innovative ways to pack your belongings into the smallest unit possible.
- Furniture with drawers are excellent for storing knick-knacks, china, or other small items. Simply wrap them in blankets, table cloths, or towels to prevent things from getting broken.
- Repurpose empty appliances by filling them with blankets, curtains, clothes, or other items. Empty refrigerators are especially good for books and CDs. Just leave the door wedged open for proper air circulation.
- Fill up those empty bins and trash cans with tools, shovels, hoses, balls, and other garden or sports items.
- Store sofas and love seats on end and mattresses on their side.
- If possible, break down furniture and remove table legs for extra storage space.
If you are looking for an excellent storage company to help you reclaim your home from excess stuff, then Scripps Poway Self Storage is the perfect place for you.
CTA: Give our mini storage facility a call at 866-694-7987 to find out more information today!